24 Jun 2010

A post from Amy (sort of)

Hi all,


I've not quite finished what I wanted to write about, so instead I'm going to cross blog (is that a word? is that the right term?!) what Amy has written on the Knitty blog.  I so completely agree with what she has said.  As you may well know, she's one of my knitting heroines.  I'll be writing more soon(ish) about some of the others. 




Did you read that there's FREE Handmaiden Silken and Sea Silk in her Tuscany Lace Shawl class?!


Over to Amy...


Jo
x



A plaid August for me


E-mails have been flying back and forth across the Atlantic for a little while, and the result I can now share with you:



I’m going to UK Knit Camp this August in Stirling, Scotland.


I am so excited about this, I can’t even stand it. Have you looked at the website?


A world of teachers are participating, many of whom have never been to the UK to teach before.


It’s only fair.


North America has had an abundance of super-cool knitting events, including (of course) Sock Summit, Stitches events, Knitters’ Connection, and tons more. So now the other side of the ocean gets a chance, and I’m so thrilled that I get to be a part of it!


I’m teaching three classes during the week, two of them brand new!




Here are the details:
Wednesday morning: Easy non-wool socks


This brand-new class is all about knitting socks without wool. As a bonus, Jo (head honcho of Knit Camp) has arranged to bring in a whole bunch of non-wool sock yarns not usually available in the UK for you to purchase, if you need to.

 
In this class, you’ll learn my super-easy toe-up sock recipe which I designed specifically to work with the characteristics of non-wool sock yarns. It features an easy gusset and a heel flap built with my tweaked Japanese short-row technique, all 100% maths free. Knit one, and you might just want this to be your sock recipe for life. The pattern gives you lots of room to improvise, should you want to add texture, colourwork or lace to the foot and/or leg.



And if you want to use this pattern with wool yarn after the class, I won’t be bothered one bit.



Thursday morning: Tuscany lace shawl


This class will introduce you to the joys of knitting lace the easy way. Our project will be the Tuscany Shawl, from my book No Sheep for You. Knit in a smooth worsted-weight silk yarn, it feels amazing against the skin, and most importantly, it looks way harder to knit than it actually is.


We’ll learn all the tricks that make knitting lace a pleasure, including how to read the landscape of your lace, and the easy way to block your finished shawl.



If you’ve wanted to knit lace but don’t like charts, or are just a little shy of the whole process, this is the class for you.








Friday morning: Making the next Monkey, Greenjeans or Mrs Beeton


In this class, I’ll share some of Knitty’s secrets with you. I’ll talk about what makes a pattern stand out among the hundreds submitted to Knitty every year, what makes a good pattern, pattern-writing techniques that make a difference, what makes a pattern go viral, the five things you can do to ensure that you have the best possible chance of getting published, and the five things you can do that will blow it for you.


Please bring along any patterns you are considering submitting for publication, along with a knitted sample. I promise to be gentle as I share my feedback with you — there is no meanness in my class! I got to evaluate lots of sock patterns at Sock Summit last year, and everyone — even those not submitting at the time — told me they got a lot out of the class.






--------------------------------------------------------------------------------



 I’m also going to be speaking at the Clapo-tea (can you stand the cuteness?). I’ve been asked to join the Luminary Panel (really? me? eee!), and the fashion show will be full of Knitty garments and accessories.


Because Jo and I just met at the Toronto Knitter’s Frolic and decided to make this happen in rather short notice, my classes have just been added to the website, which means they’re wide open right now.



It’d make my day (month!) if they’d fill up quickly.


I hope to meet you on the other side of the ocean this August!



No comments:

Post a Comment